After spending the weekend in bed sick and with the weather in Melbourne, it got me thinking about being sick and the immune system.
When we have a cold, the symptoms experienced are physical signs that our immune system is working to clear the infection:
- The runny nose and eyes are our immune system trying to physically remove the infection
- The sweats is our immune system raising the temperature of our body to make the environment inhospitable to the bacteria
- The cough is clearing any congestion form staying in your lungs
Although it’s not particularly fun, it’s our bodies way to clear out. I guess a bit like spring cleaning so we can be stronger and fitter.
How can we support ourselves and our immune systems while we are not feeling the best?
- Taking time out to rest as this is your bodies reminder that we need to take time out and stop pushing through
- Drinking water assists our body to clear the toxins quicker
- Avoid sugar consumption especially when not feeling well as we do not want to feed the bacteria
- Eat a wide variety of nutrients to promote the function of the immune system
- Don’t push yourself; take time out from exercise, from your commitments, from your work
- Drink herbal tea as it is warming and soothing on your membranes of your throat
- Stay warm to support your body’s healing potential