Spices for Gut Health
There are many well known herbs and spices that are beneficial for gut health.
Herbs and spices such as: turmeric, oregano, garlic, ginger, thyme, lemon balm, bay leaves, chives, cinnamon and dill are some that you can include in your meals.
How do you add herbs/spices to meals?
- add some turmeric, coriander seed, bay leaves, ginger and garlic to curries and dahls
- mix cinnamon in with your breakfast smoothie, coffee or even sprinkle on your porridge
- add fresh herbs such as dill or chives to your salads
- grate ginger and garlic into stews, soups, veggie patties or pasta sauce
- be experimental! Try adding and see how you go!
We like to add a range of spices and herbs to majority of our dishes including our lentil patties as shown below:
Lentil Patties (serves 4)
Can organic brown lentils (can use dried and cook them if have more time)
2 carrots grated
1 zucchini grated
1 brown onion diced
handful of kale leaves shredded
handful of sunflower seeds (for extra protein)
1 garlic clove crushed and finely chopped
3cm piece of ginger finely diced
2 tsp ground turmeric
salt and pepper for taste
1/2 cup buckwheat flour (or flour of choice)
Coconut oil (for cooking)
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Leave for 15 minutes for flour to absorb some of the egg mixture.
Spoon mixture into warm frypan with coconut oil.
Monitor mixture and try and avoid burning.
Flip after 10 minutes and cook for another 10 minutes on a low heat.
Serve with green side salad or veggies of choice.
Can top with avocado or a serve of hummus. Can be served as a breakfast option, leftovers for lunch or for dinner with the family.